Cleeve, Bishop's (St. Michael)
CLEEVE, BISHOP'S (St. Michael), a parish, forming the hundred of Cleeve or Bishop's-Cleeve, in the union of Winchcomb, E. division of the county of Gloucester; comprising the township of Bishop's-Cleeve, and the hamlets of Gotherington, Stoke-Orchard, Southam with Brockhampton, and Woodmancote; and containing 1944 inhabitants, of whom 682 are in the township, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Cheltenham. This parish derives its name Clive or Cleeve from the Saxon Cliv, "a steep ascent;" and its adjunct, distinguishing it from Prior-Cleeve, from its having been the property of the bishops of Worcester, whose ancient palace is now the rectory-house. It comprises 8746a. 1r. 2p., of which more than 1000 acres are common. The village is seated on an eminence, on the road from Cheltenham to Evesham; and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway crosses the common. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £84. 6. 8.: patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. L. Townsend, D.D.: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for £1278, and the impropriate for £107. 6., and there are 181 acres of rectorial glebe. The church is a curious and spacious structure, principally of Norman architecture, with a noble arch of exquisite workmanship in that style over the western entrance: the spire fell down in 1696, and caused considerable dilapidation, but in 1700 it was replaced by the tower that now rises from the centre of the building. There is a chapel of ease at Stoke-Orchard. On the ridge of Cleeve-Cloud Hill is a large double intrenchment called the Camps, in the form of a crescent, 350 yards in length, but accessible only in front. Within the parish are some springs, the water of which is strongly saline.