Clee (Holy Trinity)
CLEE (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the parliamentary borough of Grimsby, union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Grimsby; containing, with the township of Cleethorpe, and the hamlets of Thrunscoe and Weelsby, 1002 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the river Humber on the north and east, and comprises by computation 3400 acres, the surface of which is rather flat, excepting towards the sea, where there is a considerable elevation commanding a fine view of the Yorkshire coast and German Ocean. An act for inclosing land was passed in 1840. In the parish are many of the fountains called Blow Wells, which are deep circular pits, supplying a continual flow of water. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £93; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln: there is about an acre of glebe. The church has some fine Norman piers and arches, and an ancient circular font: an inscription on one of the pillars in the south aisle contains a memorial of the dedication of the church to the Holy Trinity in the reign of Richard the First, 1192. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.