Cleator (St. Leonard)
CLEATOR (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Whitehaven; containing 763 inhabitants. The manorhouse was burnt about 1315, by a party of Scots under James Douglas. The parish comprises 2693a. 1r. 38p. of which about 1162 acres are arable, 32 wood, and 1500 inclosed common. Coal, limestone, and iron-ore are wrought, and a great quantity of lime is burnt and sent to Scotland: here are also forges for the manufacture of spades and other edge-tools, and an extensive establishment for spinning hemp and tow, making sewingthread, &c. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £77; patron and impropriator, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1841, when 272 sittings were added. A Roman causeway passed through the parish, from Egremont to Papcastle, near Cockermouth; but few traces of it are apparent.