CLEASBY, a parish, in the union of Darlington, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Darlington; containing 164 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Tees, and comprises by computation 839 acres, mostly arable land; the surface is generally flat, but with a singular and very high embankment, which runs through the parish on the south side. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £188; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The old church, a small and inferior structure, built, with the parsonage-house, by Dr. John Robinson, a native of the parish, a distinguished plenipotentiary, and Bishop of London, was replaced in 1828 by an edifice in a superior style of architecture, containing a curious monument to the prelate. Dr. Robinson also founded a school in 1723, and endowed it with 16 acres of grass land, of the annual value of £22, free for six boys. Mrs. Cornwallis, a step-daughter of the bishop, left in 1785 funds now producing £10. 15. for the relief of poor housekeepers.