Clayworth (St. Peter)
CLAYWORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from East Retford; containing 627 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Idle, and intersected by the Chesterfield canal, comprises the townships of Clayworth and Wiseton, the former containing 2076, and the latter 930, acres of fertile land; the soil of Clayworth being a rich clay, and that of Wiseton a fine red sandy mould. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 10. 10.; net income, £604, with a house; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £3. 5. only, the greater part of the parish being tithe-free under an inclosure act passed at the close of the last century, when 281 acres were allotted to the incumbent, now called Clayworth-highfield, or the Tithefarm. The church contains many ancient monumental inscriptions. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The Rev. William Sampson, in 1700, bequeathed land now producing £57 per annum, as an endowment for a school.