CLAYTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of High Hoyland, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 9 miles (S. E. by E.) from Huddersfield; containing 1440 inhabitants. The township is situated on the Wakefield and Denby-Dale road, and comprises by computation 1080 acres, belonging to various proprietors. Several coal-mines are in operation. The manufacture of fancy silk and worsted goods, for waistcoats, trowsers, and ladies' dresses, is carried on to a considerable extent, and large mills have been erected for these branches of industry, in which the greater part of the population is employed: there is an extensive worsted spinning-mill; and clogs are also manufactured. The village is situated on a declivity, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. There are places of worship for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion.