CLAYTON-LE-WOODS, a township, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Chorley, on the road to Preston; containing 795 inhabitants. This place was possessed by the Clayton family as early as the 11th century: a moiety passed by marriage to the Lees, and from them to the Hoghtons; and the second moiety has been held by various families, among whom have been the Orrells and Andertons. The township comprises 1450a. 1r. 21p., mostly pasture and meadow; about 24 acres are wood: the land is elevated, the soil various, and the views pleasing. The river Lostock flows through. Clayton Villa, with 40 acres around it, is the seat of Francis Anderton, Esq.; and at Clayton Green is the neat residence of Thomas Dewhurst, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £100 payable to Lord Skelmersdale, and £82 to the vicar. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, built in the year 1824. A school has the aid of an endowment of £9. 6. per annum.