CLAYTON-LE-MOORS, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Blackburn; containing 2602 inhabitants. Clayton-le-Moors, "the clayey district among the Moors," gave the name of Clayton to a family, who resided here as early as the reign of Henry II. From this family the manor came by female heirs to the Grimshaws and de Rishtons, and from them it descended in moieties to the Lomaxes and Walmesleys: by the marriage of Catherine Walmesley, who died in 1785, with the seventh lord Petre, a moiety passed to his lordship and devolved to his descendants. The township lies on the road from Blackburn to Burnley, and the village is distant about a mile and a half north-by-west from the town of Accrington. The river Henbury passes on the west side of the township. A district church, All Saints', was erected in 1839: the living is in the gift of Trustees. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and at Enfield is a Roman Catholic chapel. The Baptist congregation originally at Oakenshaw, in Clayton-le-Moors, removed to Accrington in 1735. Three schools are supported by subscription.