CLAY-LANE, a township, in the parish of North Wingfield, union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (S.) from Chesterfield; containing about 2000 inhabitants. This place was a few years ago but a small village; at present, George Stephenson and Co. have extensive collieries here, employing 600 persons, and having a steam power of 140 horses. Three-quarters of a mile to the north, is a station of the Midland railway. A mechanics' institution was established in 1845, and there is a place of worship for dissenters. The tithes have been commuted for £198.