Claxton, or Long Clawson (St. Remigius)
CLAXTON, or Long Clawson (St. Remigius), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 838 inhabitants. It is situated in the vale of Belvoir, and comprises by admeasurement 2800 acres: the canal navigation from Nottingham to Grantham runs from west to east, through the lower part of the manor. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 2.; net income, £105; patron, Lord Godolphin: 126 acres of land belong to the vicarage, and there is a glebe-house, with an acre of glebe. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. Here are two free schools, towards the endowment of which Anthony Wadd in 1758 gave land, the rent of which is now £62. 8.; in 1772, Mrs. Briggs bequeathed £100, for the same purpose.