Claxby (St. Mary)
CLAXBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Caistor, N. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N. E.) from Market-Rasen; containing 220 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1679 acres. Coal is supposed to exist, but no attempt has been made to work it; there are quarries of stone of good quality for roadmaking, and great quantities are raised for the supply of the neighbourhood. A pleasure-fair is held about the end of August or beginning of September. The living is a discharged rectory, to which the rectory of Normanby-on-the-Wolds was united in 1740, valued in the king's books at £8. 10. 10.; net income, £844; patrons, the family of Atkinson. The church is in the early English style, and contains some ancient monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Several Roman coins, one of them of the reign of Constantine, and some Roman pavements, have been discovered.