Claxby (St. Andrew)
CLAXBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S.) from Alford; containing 132 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1047 acres, the soil of which lies on chalk interspersed with marl; limestone is obtained, and, mixed with marl, is used for manure. In the centre of the parish is a fine spring, issuing from a chalk hill, and affording a good supply of water. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Well, and valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 1½.: the church is a small thatched building. Here are vestiges of a Roman camp, and several tumuli covered with trees.