Claverdon (St. Michael)
CLAVERDON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Stratford-on-Avon, Henley division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Henley; containing, with the hamlet of Langley, 711 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Henley to Warwick, and comprises by measurement 3580 acres; its northeastern boundary is skirted by the canal from Stratford to Birmingham. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Norton-Lindsey annexed, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 1.; net income, £265; patron, the Archdeacon of Worcester. The great tithes have been commuted for £672. 3., and the vicarial for £229. 10.; the impropriator's glebe comprises 33 acres, and the vicar's 5 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, with the exception of the chancel and tower, was rebuilt in the years 1827-8, and contains a handsome monument, in the chancel, belonging to the Spencer family, who formerly possessed a large mansion in the parish. John Matthews, about the year 1526, left property for the repair of the church, now worth about £96 per annum, out of which a village school is also supported.