Claughton, with Grange
CLAUGHTON, with Grange, a township, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of Cheshire; containing, in 1841, 240 inhabitants. The manor was the property of the convent of Birkenhead, upon the dissolution of which it was granted to the Worsleys, and thus descended to F. R. Price, Esq., by whom the manors of Birkenhead and Claughton were lately sold to William Jackson, Esq., M.P. The township is situated to the north-west of Birkenhead, and comprises 575 acres, the soil of which is a loamy clay. The whole of it, with a small part of the township of Oxton, has by a recent act of parliament been annexed to the adjoining town, the three places now forming one district or township under the control of commissioners. The surface is dotted over with villas and other handsome suburban residences, amongst which is the Manor-House, lately called Claughton Hall, the seat of Mr. Jackson. Stretching down from this mansion, in a south-eastern direction, lies the fine public park of Birkenhead; and almost opposite the park entrance are the house and grounds of J. R. Pim, Esq., by whom a meeting-house for the Society of Friends has been erected on his own property. Several churches, also, and other public buildings, have been raised; an account of which will be found under the head of Birkenhead.