Clareborough (St. John the Baptist)
CLAREBOROUGH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from East Retford; containing, with the hamlets of Bollom, Gringley, Little Gringley, Moorgate, and Walham, 2207 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the great north road, intersected by the Chesterfield and Gainsborough canal, and skirted on the west by the river Idle, comprises 3407a. 2r. 21p., whereof the township of Clareborough contains 1230a. 3r. 20p. The soil is in general a good productive clay. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 4.; net income, £331; patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. C. Simeon; impropriators, the family of Hutchinson, and others. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776; the glebe contains altogether 90 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a small edifice, built by Archbishop Roger, and endowed by Sewell, Archbishop of York, in 1258; it consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square embattled tower. A handsome chapel of ease was opened in 1829, which is dedicated to St. Saviour, and contains 1065 sittings.