Churchstow (St. Mary)
CHURCHSTOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Kingsbridge; containing 542 inhabitants, including 211 in the union workhouse, situated in the parish. It is bounded on the north-west by the river Avon, and comprises 1650 acres, of which 20 are common or waste. The surface is irregular, rising in some parts into hills of considerable height; and the soil is extremely various, in some places exuberantly rich, and in others sterile and unproductive. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Kingsbridge annexed, valued in the king's books at £16. 16. 11., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £200: the impropriation belongs to the Corporation of Exeter, as trustees for a charity. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £325, and the glebe consists of 14 acres.