Churchover (Holy Trinity)
CHURCHOVER (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Rugby; containing 339 inhabitants. At a very early period the monastery of Combe had a great portion of the lands here, the gift of Robert de Wavre, confirmed by Henry II. After the Dissolution the property is supposed to have been granted by the name of a manor, to Mary, Duchess of Richmond, and it was afterwards held by the Dixons, of Coten, in the neighbourhood. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Swift, and on the east by the Roman Watling-street; and comprises by computation 1500 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture. The surface is varied, rising in some parts into hills of considerable elevation, and in others being flat; the soil is clayey, with some gravel. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15; net income, £270; patron, Henry Grimes, Esq. There are 170 acres of glebe, and a glebehouse. The church is a small edifice, with a spire. The Independents have a place of worship.