Churchdown (St. Bartholomew)
CHURCHDOWN (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union and E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Gloucester; containing, with Hucklecote hamlet, 999 inhabitants. This parish, commonly called Choren, comprises 2575a. 3r. 17p., and is situated in an extensive vale, from which an elliptical eminence, about four miles in circuit at the base, rises to the height of 2500 feet: stone is quarried for the roads. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and the road from Gloucester to London, pass through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £88; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, whose tithes have been commuted for £1214. The church, a very ancient plain edifice, is on the summit of the hill above noticed, commanding most extensive views; the mounds by which it is surrounded, in connexion with the abrupt ascent of the hill, have led to the opinion that it was originally the site of a Roman or British fortification. There are two schools, supported partly by an endowment of £25 a year, bequeathed in 1734, by the Rev. H. Wyndowe, who was minister of the parish; also four almshouses for poor widows, endowed with £4 per annum each. John Harmer, professor of Greek in the University of Oxford, author of a life of Cicero, a Greek Etymological Dictionary, and other learned works, was a native of the place; he died in 1670.