Churcham (St. Andrew)
CHURCHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Westbury, partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, E. division, but chiefly in the hundred of Westbury, W. division, of the county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from Gloucester; containing, with the hamlets of Highnam, Linton, and Over, 870 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated on the river Severn, across which, at Over, about one mile from Gloucester, is a handsome stone bridge of one arch, 150 feet in the span, completed under the superintendence of Telford, at an expense of nearly £50,000, defrayed by the county. The living is a vicarage, with that of Bulley annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 5.; net income, £386; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The tithes were commuted for land in 1802. The church is small, and has some remains of Norman architecture.