Christleton (St. James)
CHRISTLETON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, comprising the townships of Christleton, Abbots-Cotton, Edmunds-Cotton, Littleton, and Rowton; and containing 875 inhabitants, of whom 625 are in the township of Christleton, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Chester. This place, at the time of the Norman survey, is said to have been very populous; it continued to be of some importance, and was fortified for the parliament, and made the headquarters of Sir William Brereton. At Rowton Moor a battle was fought between the royalist and parliamentary forces, in which the former were defeated; and on the siege of Chester being raised, in February, 1645, Christleton was, in a sally of the citizens, very nearly destroyed by fire. The parish is situated on the road from London to Shrewsbury, via Whitchurch, and comprises by admeasurement 3000 acres, whereof 1392 are in the township; the soil is sand, loam, and clay. The Chester and Ellesmere canal passes close to the village, and, at little more than a quarter of a mile from the bridge, is crossed by a viaduct of the Chester and Crewe railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £39. 5.; net income, £827; patron, the Hon. E. M. L. Mostyn: the glebe consists of about 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, which is picturesquely covered with ivy, existed prior to the Conquest: the body was rebuilt of brick in 1738, but the stone tower bears the date 1530; it has a peal of eight bells. There is a place of worship for Independents. In 1779, John Seller, of Littleton, left about £10 per annum for teaching children; and a school-house was built in 1800, by subscription.