CHORLTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; comprising the townships of Chapel-Chorlton and Hill-Chorlton; and containing 365 inhabitants, of whom 243 are in Chapel-Chorlton, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Newcastle. The chapelry consists of 1921a. 1r. 36p. of land, and lies west of the Sow, from which the village of Chapel-Chorlton is distant about half a mile. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £71; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield: the tithes have been commuted for £244. The chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was rebuilt in 1827, at a cost of £800, raised by subscription and a grant from a Church Society. Near Hill-Chorlton is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.