CHORLTON, a township, in the parish of Backford, union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (N.) from Chester; containing 85 inhabitants. It comprises 506 acres of land, chiefly pasture, and of which the soil is sand, gravel, and clay; the surface is undulated, and the scenery embraces extensive views. The Ellesmere canal passes through the township. The tithes have been commuted for £100. Chorlton Hall, rebuilt in the year 1845, may be mentioned as the place where George Ormerod, Esq., wrote his History of Cheshire.