CHORLEY, a township, in the parish of Wilmslow, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 5¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Macclesfield; containing 561 inhabitants. This was a seat of the Davenports from about the year 1400 until 1612, when it was purchased by the Downes family; and in 1640 it came, also by purchase, to the Stanleys of Alderley. The Hall was an ancient timber mansion, within a moated site, but latterly became a farmhouse. The township comprises 1242 acres, whereof 194 are common land or waste; the soil is clay. The tithes have been commuted for £169. 10.