Chollerton (St. Giles)
CHOLLERTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Hexham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Birtley, and the townships of Barrasford, Colwell with Swinburn, and Gunnerton with Chipchase, 1129 inhabitants, of whom 155 are in the township of Chollerton, 6 miles (N.) from Hexham. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 4½.; net income, £361; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. Bird; impropriators, the Mercers' Company and others. The great tithes of the township of Chollerton have been commuted for £233, and the small for £76; the vicar has a glebe of 7 acres. The church contains an east window of stained glass. At Birtley is a separate incumbency. About a mile from the village of Chollerton was the line of the walls and fosse erected by the Romans and South Britons, at various times, to protect themselves from the incursions of the Picts.