Cholderton, West (St. Nicholas)
CHOLDERTON, WEST (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Amesbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Amesbury; containing 170 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1662 acres, of which 1410 are arable, 147 meadow and pasture, and 35 woodland: the new road from Salisbury to Marlborough passes through the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Oriel College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £267, and the glebe contains 9 acres, with a glebe-house lately built. A new church has been erected near the site of the old one. Anthony Cratcherode, Esq., in 1753, bequeathed £12 per annum for charitable purposes.