Chobham (St. Lawrence)
CHOBHAM (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Chertsey, First division of the hundred of Godley, W. division of Surrey, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Bagshot; containing 1989 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 13,000 acres, of which 4500 are arable, pasture, and meadow, 40 wood and plantation, and the rest waste and common forming part of Bagshot Heath; the surface is hilly, and the soil generally sand, incumbent on beds of gravel. The village, which is situated in a valley, is a polling-place for the western division of the county: many of the houses are of red brick and well built, and the shops are of respectable appearance. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 1.; net income, £148; patron, John Thornton, Esq.; impropriators, Sir W. Abdy, Bart., and others. The glebe contains about 70 acres. The church is in the early style of English architecture, with modern windows, and contains several neat monuments. A small chapel of ease dedicated to the Trinity has been erected at West-End, in the parish; and there is a place of worship for Baptists. A school is supported, to which Thomas Bainbridge, Esq., bequeathed, in 1834, £360 in the three per cent. consols.: there are a benevolent society and a lying-in fund; and the parish derives from £40 to £50 per annum from Henry Smith's charity. At Chobham Park are the remains of a large mansion, in which Archbishop Heath died, in 1579. Near Westby Green is a chalybeate spring.