Chittern (All Saints)
CHITTERN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Heytesbury; containing 403 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Amesbury to Bristol, and comprises by measurement 4288 acres; the lands are watered by several springs, which, during part of the year, rise in the parish and neighbourhood, and, uniting, form a considerable stream. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the vicarage of Chittern St. Mary, and is valued in the king's books at £7. 0. 10.; net income, £319; patrons, alternately, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury; impropriators of All Saints', the family of Serle. The tithes of both parishes were commuted for land and corn-rents, in 1815, and the great tithes of All Saints' have been, under the recent act, commuted for £113. The church is an ancient structure. Westward from the place is a small Roman camp, named Knooke Castle, and near it an irregular ditch running in various directions, as if intended to form some ancient boundary line; there are also some remains of a convent in the parish. Commodore Michel, who circumnavigated the globe with Captain Cook, was born and buried here.