Chishall, Little (St. Nicholas)
CHISHALL, LITTLE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Royston; containing 96 inhabitants. It consists chiefly of low lands, and comprises 1167a. 1r. 37p., of which about 1058 acres are arable, 24 pasture, and 85 woodland; the soil is clay and chalk in some parts, and in others, especially the flat portions, a dry light gravel. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Haydon, and valued in the king's books at £14. 10. The church is a small but lofty edifice of great antiquity, with a porch of freestone, and a tower partly of stone and partly of wood. John de Chishal or Chishull, Bishop of London, who died in the year 1279, took his name from the place.