Chishall, Great (St. Swithin)
CHISHALL, GREAT (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 5 miles (E.) from Royston; containing 466 inhabitants. It comprises 2480a. 1r. 38p. The village is situated on a hill of considerable elevation, commanding a fine view of the surrounding district, which is highly cultivated, and enriched with woodland scenery. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £173; patron and impropriator, J. Wilkes, Esq. The tithes of Great and Little Chishall were commuted for land and cornrents, in 1811. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower surmounted by a small spire.