CHIRTON, a township, in the parish, borough, and union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from North Shields; containing 4360 inhabitants. This township comprises 1795 acres, abounding in coal; and the village, which forms the western suburb of North Shields, has greatly increased in extent and population, owing, chiefly, to the extension of the coal-works, from which tram-roads have been formed to the river Tyne. In the township are also iron-foundries on a large scale, for the manufacture of steam-engines, and various kinds of machinery. Waterville House, situated here, occupies the site of the Roman station of Blake Chesters. Chirton House was the seat of Lord Collingwood, the celebrated naval commander and distinguished negotiator; Chirton Hall, now in ruins, was a seat of the dukes of Argyll. The great tithes have been commuted for £217. There is a burying-ground belonging to the Jews.