Chipstead (St. Margaret)
CHIPSTEAD (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union, and Second division of the hundred, of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 2¾ miles (N. by E.) from Gatton; containing 666 inhabitants. It consists of arable and woodland, with some upland pastures: chalk in general forms the subsoil. The London and Brighton railway passes a little to the east of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 11½.; patron, Sir W. G. Hylton Jolliffe: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and there is a glebe of 43 acres. The church was restored in 1827; on the north side is a fine Norman arch. Here is a school endowed by Mary Stephens, in 1746, with land producing £70 per annum. Sir Edward Banks, Knt., the great contractor for public works, lies buried in the churchyard, the quiet and beauty of which fixed his attention in early life while he was employed as a labourer on the Merstham railway; he died in 1835.