Chinnock, East (St. Mary)
CHINNOCK, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Barwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Yeovil; containing 735 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Yeovil to Crewkerne, and comprises by measurement 1350 acres. The manufacture of sail-cloth is carried on to a considerable extent; and stone is quarried, chiefly for rough walls. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 8¼., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £140; the impropriation belongs to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge: the glebe comprises 45 acres. The church has been enlarged, and now contains 450 sittings, of which 350 are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Property producing about £60 a year is applied to charitable purposes. About a mile west of the church is a spring of brackish water, from which salt may be extracted.