CHILWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of Attenborough, union of Shardlow, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Nottingham; containing 772 inhabitants. The manor was anciently divided; in Domesday book it is called East and West Chilwell, and the parts do not appear to have been united until the reign of Elizabeth. In the hamlet are 1475 acres, including the portion covered by the Trent (which divides it into two unequal parts) and by its back-water, the Holme-Pit, which is partly in Chilwell and partly in the parish of Clifton. The soil is mostly of a superior quality, consisting of darkish-red marl, clayey loam, and gravelly loam, with a small quantity of black peat; the land is divided into arable, pasture, and nursery-grounds, but of late years the pasture and meadow have considerably increased. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of stockings and lace, the latter being of recent introduction. The Midland railway passes through the parish, and has absorbed a great portion of the former traffic through the village, which stands on the old coachroad between Nottingham and Birmingham. There are, a place of worship for Methodists, a Sunday school supported by subscription, and two endowed almshouses.