Chilvers-Coton (All Saints)
CHILVERS-COTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Nuneaton, Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, ¾ of a mile (S. W.) from Nuneaton; containing, with the hamlet of Griff, 2508 inhabitants. In the reign of Henry II., Ralph de Sudley founded an Augustine priory at Erdbury, in this parish, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £122. 8. 6. The site was granted, in the reign of Elizabeth, to Sir Edmund Anderson, who destroyed the monastic buildings, and with the materials erected a spacious quadrangular mansion, which, in 1586, he exchanged with John Newdegate, of Harefield, in the county of Middlesex, for the manor of Harefield. The ancient house was re-modelled by the late Sir Roger Newdegate, in the later style of English architecture; the apartments are spacious and richly ornamented, and the park is pleasingly varied. The present possessor is Charles Newdegate Newdegate, Esq., who also owns Harefield. The parish comprises by measurement 4180 acres. The manufacture of ribbons is carried on extensively; and there are some coalworks in the parish, which is intersected by the Coventry canal, the rateable annual value of the coal-works being £798, and of the canal property £1022. The river Anker bounds the parish on the east, and it is crossed by the road from Nuneaton to Coventry. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £106. The church has been recently enlarged. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and two national schools are supported by funds given by the late Sir Roger Newdegate. Adjoining the precincts of the park is an ancient residence of the Knights Templars, granted to them by Ralph de Sudley.