Chilton-Trinity (Holy Trinity)
CHILTON-TRINITY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of North Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Bridgwater; containing 74 inhabitants. This place is of great antiquity, and formerly gave name to a hundred, designated Chilton-Trinitatis. The navigable river Parret flows on the eastern side. The neighbourhood contains a great quantity of coal, lying beneath a stony stratum here called wark, on which, when split, impressions of fern and other plants are visible; much of the coal is tinged with sulphur, and in one mine a considerable quantity of lead-ore has been found adhering to it. The living is a discharged rectory, united to the vicarage of Bridgwater, and valued in the king's books at £7. 0. 2½.; the tithes of the parish, exclusive of the hamlets of Idstock and Beer, have been commuted for £193. 10. 6., and the glebe contains upwards of 5½ acres. The church is a neat structure, covered with lead, with a tower rebuilt in 1728.