Chilton-Foliatt (St. Mary)
CHILTON-FOLIATT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hungerford, partly in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, but chiefly in the hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Hungerford; containing, with the hamlet of Leverton, in Berks, 727 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the river Chilt, a small stream by which it is intersected. Here is the residence of Lieut.-Col. Popham, which is remarkable for its antiquity and the elegance of its style, and has attached a spacious chapel. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 8. 9.; net income, £994; patron, Lieut.-Col. Popham. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1770, Roger and Elizabeth Ipanswick founded a school, with an endowment now producing £20 per annum.