CHILTON, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Ferry-Hill, parish of Merrington, union of Sedgefield, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 9 miles (S. by E.) from Durham; containing 189 inhabitants. The village of Great Chilton is situated about a mile to the northeast of Rushyford, and occupies a hilly region: it formed part of the forfeitures of William de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk, in 1388. There is a branch of the Clarence railway from the Durham branch, about three furlongs in length. The tithes have been commuted for £166. 19. payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £68 to the vicar of the parish.