CHILTINGTON, WEST, a parish, in the union of Thakeham, partly in the hundred of East Easwrith, rape of Bramber, but chiefly in that of West Easwrith, rape of Arundel, county of Sussex, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Petworth; containing 747 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3444 acres, of which 2817 are arable; a portion towards the South Downs is uninclosed common. The surface is generally flat, but is intersected by a ridge of considerable elevation, extending for nearly half a mile, and commanding good views. The soil near the downs is sandy, resting on a substratum of ironstone: on the steep banks which overhang the roads, are found circular nodules of blue limestone imbedded in clay; and in the lower parts are some pits of Sussex marble of fine quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes have been commuted for £770, and the glebe comprises 12 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the early English style, with later additions; it has a spire rising from between the nave and chancel, and a highly-enriched Norman arch at the north entrance. A school was founded in 1634, by William Smyth, who endowed it with land now producing £47 per annum.