CHILCOMBE, a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of Uggscombe, Bridport division of Dorset, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Bridport; containing 53 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 450 acres, and is watered by a brook called Bridy: chalk is obtained for manure. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 8., and in the gift of the Devisees of the Rev. Edward Foyle: the tithes have been commuted for £100. The church is an ancient edifice, and contains a monument to Henry Michell, killed in battle, 1662, aged twenty-one. On the summit of a steep hill to the north, are vestiges of an intrenchment, inclosing three barrows: from its partaking both of the Roman and Saxon modes of fortification, it is supposed to have been constructed by the former, and extended by the latter people. The Knights Hospitallers had possessions here, with a quadrangular mansion, now a farmhouse.