Chieveley, or Chevelie (St. Mary)
CHIEVELEY, or Chevelie (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newbury, hundred of Faircross, county of Berks, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Newbury; containing 1936 inhabitants, and consisting of the chapelries of Leckhampstead, Oare, and Winterbourne, and the tythings of Courage and Snelsmore. This place was the residence of the prior of Abingdon, whose ancient seat still retains the name of Prior's Court. The parish comprises 8925a. 3r. 5p.; the surface is in general flat, and is watered by the Winterbourne rivulet. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £26. 11. 3.; net income, £1174; patrons, alternately, John Thomas Wasey, Esq., and the Rev. Christopher Capel; impropriators, various landowners. There are chapels at Leckhampstead, Oare, and Winterbourne; and a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1759, Thomas Henshaw granted an annuity of £10, with a school-house at North Heath, and in 1805 Catherine Mather bequeathed £800, both sums for educating children; the school was rebuilt in 1839, and placed in union with the National Society.