CHIDHAM, a parish, in the union of West Bourne, hundred of Bosham, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Chichester; containing 325 inhabitants. This parish, which forms a peninsula on the coast, is bounded on the east by Bosham creek, on the west by Thorney channel, and on the south by the harbour of Chichester. It has been attempted several times to open a more direct communication between this place and Bosham, by means of an embankment of the sea, but without success; the last embankment, which was 550 yards in length, and 15 feet high, was swept away by the memorable storm of 1822. The soil is a marl of the richest kind, producing wheat and oats of superior quality; and the Chidham white, or Ledge-wheat seed, which is in so great estimation, takes its name from having been first raised in this parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 19. 2.; net income, £114; impriators, the landowners. The church is in the early English style, with later additions.