Chiddingstone (St. Mary)
CHIDDINGSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Somerden, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 8 miles (S. S. W.) from Seven-Oaks; containing 1405 inhabitants. The parish in the Textus Roffensis is called Cidingstæne, and in other records Chiding-stone; according to tradition, from a large stone supposed to have been the spot where judicial affairs were transacted by the ancient Britons. It comprises 5705a. 1r. 19p.; and is bounded on the south by a branch of the Medway, and intersected by the river Eden, about a mile south of which, on an eminence, is the village. The South-Eastern railway passes a little to the north. There are 210 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28. 9. 4½., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £868, and the glebe comprises 7 acres, with an excellent glebe-house. The church is a very neat building, chiefly in the later English style, and contains some handsome monuments to the Streatfield family, and a peal of bells; the tower is considered the finest in the county.