Chicheley (St. Lawrence)
CHICHELEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Newport-Pagnell, on the road to Bedford, containing 256 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres, in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with some woodland; the soil is mostly clay, and the parish stands high, having fine views from the hill on the road to Newport-Pagnell. Chicheley Hall is a handsome and spacious quadrilateral edifice of red brick. The making of lace affords employment to the female population. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £63; patron, the Rev. Anthony Chester, who is also impropriator of the great tithes, and owner of the parish. The church is in the pointed style, with a lofty tower, and a fine peal of eight bells: the chancel was built in 1700: there are curious monuments to the Chester and Cave families. A school is supported by subscription.