Chew-Stoke (St. Andrew)
CHEW-STOKE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Pensford; containing 825 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Bristol to Wells, and on the river Chew, comprises 2092 acres, whereof 32 are common or waste. It abounds with limestone, and with stone of a reddish granulated texture, in which are found imbedded a few fossils and cornua ammonis; they are both extensively quarried, the former for agricultural, and the latter for building, purposes, and there are also some quarries of white lias, which is used for paving. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 3. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. William Wait: the tithes have been commuted for £270. 12., and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The rectory-house, formerly used as a workhouse, has been restored at an expense of £400 by the incumbent, and is a very singular edifice, considered by antiquaries as one of the most interesting antiquities in the county. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A parochial school was founded in 1718, by a few inhabitants who raised funds for its erection and endowment; the income, augmented by subsequent benefactions, is £106. On the lands of Mr. Gray, in the parish, are some remains of a Roman military station, and coins have been found there.