Cheverell, Great (St. Peter)
CHEVERELL, GREAT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Devizes, hundred of Swanborough, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Devizes; containing 557 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation nearly 2000 acres; the manor forms part of the endowment of the almshouse at Heytesbury, founded by one of the Hungerford family. A small part of the population is engaged in the manufacture of edge-tools. A pleasure-fair is held in the first week after the festival of St. Peter. The living, once the property of Queen's College, Cambridge, to which it was given by Bishop Davenant, is valued in the king's books at £16; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. M. Atkinson: the tithes were commuted in 1797, for 307 acres of land, now valued at £350 per annum. The church is a plain neat structure. There is a place of worship for Independents; and a school is endowed with an acre of land and a cottage, for the instruction of six boys. Many Roman coins have been found in the parish. The late Dr. Lawrence, distinguished for his Bampton lectures, and last archbishop of Cashel, was for some time rector.