Chevening (St. Botolph)
CHEVENING (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Seven-Oaks; containing 1003 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3774a. 3r. 15p., of which 1065 acres are arable, 1244 meadow and pasture, 1346 woodland, and 96 in hop-grounds. It is distinguished as the residence of the Stanhope family, who have a fine seat, at which the late earl, who was celebrated for his discoveries in mechanics and natural philosophy, established the improved printing-press bearing his name: his lordship died here, in 1816. A fair is held on May 16th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £761, and the glebe contains 23 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is adorned with several elegant monuments of the Lennard family, and one to Lady Frederica Stanhope. Various bequests by the Stanhope family are applied in apprenticing children. The Pilgrims' path, which led towards Becket's shrine at Canterbury, passes in the vicinity, and forms a boundary of the Weald of Kent.