Chettle (St. Mary)
CHETTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Moncktonup-Wimborne, Wimborne division of Dorset, 6 miles (N. E.) from Blandford; containing 122 inhabitants. It is situated within a mile of the road from Exeter to London, through Blandford and Salisbury, and comprises 1113a. 3r. 25p., with a level surface and chalky soil. A stately mansion, in the style of Sir John Vanbrugh, and probably the old manor-house, is in tolerable preservation. The manor and whole parish, with the mansion, and also the advowson of the church, were sold in 1846 to Edward Castleman, Esq., for £24,400. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 9.: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe contains about 21 acres. The church is partly in the early and partly in the later English style, and has a very ancient and handsomely carved pulpit. There is a large tumulus or barrow, which, from its extent, is called the "Giant's grave."