Cheswardine (St. Swithin)
CHESWARDINE (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Drayton; containing 1015 inhabitants, and comprising 5724 acres, of which 96 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the gift of the family of Harding: the tithes have been commuted for £1015. 10., of which £197. 10. belong to the incumbent, with a glebe of 30 acres. The church was rebuilt a few years since. There is a school, which has a bequest of £4 per annum; and a sum of about £36 per annum, the interest of bequests, is appropriated to the purchase of wheat, distributed among the poor.