Chesterton (St. Michael)
CHESTERTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Stilton; containing 129 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great north road, which is here crossed by the road from Lynn to Northampton. It comprises by admeasurement 1330 acres, consisting of arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions; the soil is in some parts a rich clay, mixed with red sand, and in others chalk of fertile quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 3. 4., and in the gift of the Marquess of Huntly: the tithes have been commuted for £417. 11., and the glebe comprises 4¼ acres, with a glebe-house. The church is principally in the early English style. Midway between this and Castor is the site of the ancient city of Durobriv, the fort of which was placed on the Huntingdonshire side of the river Nene; and at Castle Field is a large tract inclosed by a ditch and rampart, with the Roman Ermin-street running through it obliquely. On making a road across the site of Durobriv, several stone coffins, urns, and coins were dug up; and by the side of the high road near this place, in 1754, was found a coffin of yellowish stone, six feet two inches long, within which were a skeleton, three glass lachrymatories, some coins, and scraps of white wood inscribed with Greek and Roman letters.