Cherrington (St. John the Baptist)
CHERRINGTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (S. E.) from Shipston; containing 340 inhabitants. In the 52nd of Henry III., Ralph de Wylington held the manor by the service of a knight's fee, of the Earl of Warwick, as of the manor of Brailes. It was the property of Sir William Lucy early in the reign of Edward III.; from which time it continued to his descendants. The area of the parish is 808a. 1r. 22p. A tributary of the Stour runs through from east to west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 7½. net income, £259; patron, Daniel Turner, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1805.